Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Carb Swaps

I definitely find that I miss my “carbs” on low-carb days.  There is just something familiar about having my plate sectioned out as protein, carbs, and vegetables. So, today let’s talk about some fake-outs, some alternatives to our familiar pasta, potatoes, and rice. These fake-outs happen to be quite delicious and super easy to make too! And they are all vegetables, and you are allowed to eat as many vegetables as you want!

Cauliflower

Cauliflower is magical. I swear. I hated cauliflower for most of my life and now… I LOVE it! Here’s why:

Zucchini

Zucchini is one of my other favorite vegetables. It also happens to make a mean alternative to pasta. What?! Yes, use this in place of pasta.
 
Zucchini noodles: To serve 4, Heat a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Using a mandolin or vegetable peeler, carefully slice the zucchini lengthwise, starting at one end and ending on the other end. Add the zucchini slices to the boiling water and cook very quickly, just 1-2 minutes so zucchini is tender, but does not fall apart.
 
Check out this cool vegetable spiralizer!!
 

Spaghetti Squash

Spaghetti squash is also quite magical (yes, I think it’s magic that we can sub veggies for carbs!).  I love to roast my spaghetti squash (apparently you can cook it in the microwave too).

To roast, preheat the oven to 400. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Spray with olive oil cooking spray, then put the squash cut-side down on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Roast for 40-45 minutes. Let cool slightly, then scrape out the inside of the squash with 2 forks.

No comments:

Post a Comment